1985-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
1985-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 1985-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) parts included in this kit:
- 2 Rear Shocks
- 2 Rear Eibach Springs
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat Head)
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
Rear Shock & Coil Spring Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove rear seat cushion and seat back to gain access to shock mounting nuts. Fig 1
- Remove tire and wheel assembly.
- Disconnect air line from shock.
- Support lower control arm with suitable jack stand.
- Remove the two upper shock mounting nuts. Fig 2
- Remove the two lower shock anchoring bolts, washers and nuts from the knuckle, then the knuckle bracket. Fig 3
- Remove strut from vehicle.
- Repeat this procedure on the other side before proceeding.
- Disconnect the one ride height sensor rod. Fig 4
- With both shocks removed raise the sway bar up to gain access to the coil spring.
- Place coil spring compressor on the spring and tighten.
- Slowly lower the jack stand to remove spring. Do not over stretch the brake line! (Note) If unable to remove the spring, raise jack stand back up and further tighten the compressor. Remove spring. Fig 5
- Measure the old spring while it is compressed. Remember this measurement.
Coil Spring & Shock Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Place coil spring compressor on the new smsp 31 spring and compress until you have reached the same dimension of the old spring compressed. Fig 1
- Place rubber spring isolator from the old spring on top of the new spring and install into vehicle.
- Raise control arm up enough to hold spring in place, remove spring compressor.
- Place new strutmaster shock on to the lower wheel mount using the factory bolts and make sure you reconnect the sway bar brackets before installing nuts. Do not tighten bolts yet! Fig 2
- With the jack, raise the control arm as you align the upper shock to go through the upper mounting hole behind the rear seat. Install the upper shock nuts and tighten. Fig 3
- Now tighten the lower shock mounting bolts. ( Repeat the same procedures for the other side.)
- Reinstall the height sensor rod on the one side.
- Install the rear wheels and tighten to factory spec.
- Replace rear seat. (CAUTION) YOU MUST HAVE A REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT DONE TO INSURE SAFE VEHICLE DRIVING.
Rear kit install is now complete.