1988-1994 Lincoln Continental Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
1988-1994 Lincoln Continental Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 1988-1994 Lincoln Continental Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Lincoln Continental parts included in this kit:
- 2 Coilover Strut Assemblies
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat Head)
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
Front Air Strut Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Turn "OFF" air suspension switch in the trunk.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the wheels. (Support the vehicle by the frame so that there is no load on the suspension).
- Disconnect the electrical connector and the air line from the air spring solenoid.
- Remove the air spring solenoid retaining clip. Rotate the air spring solenoid counterclockwise to the first stop. Pull solenoid out slowly to the second stop to bleed the air pressure from the spring. After the air is completely bled from the spring, rotate the solenoid counterclockwise to the third stop and remove from the housing, see Fig 1, Fig 2, and Fig 3.
- Disconnect the plastic height sensor arm from the ball stud mount and position out of the way, see Fig 4.
- Unbolt the ABS sensor line from the strut.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the strut, and position the link out of the way.
- Remove the strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt.
- Push down on the spindle to remove the strut from the knuckle(you may have to tap with a hammer to slide the strut out).
- Unplug the electrical connection leading to the actuator on the top of the strut.
- Remove the three top mount-to-shock tower bolts and remove the air strut from the vehicle.
- ALWAYS USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN LIFTING VEHICLE! Refer to shop manual for lifting instructions.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Install front shock absorber (strut) and spring assembly and three top mount-to-shock tower nuts; leave nuts loose.
- Position front shock absorber (strut) into front wheel knuckle.
- Install to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt and nut and tighten to 98-132 Nm (73-98 ft. lbs.). CAUTION: Use extreme care not to damage boot seal. Do not use power tools to tighten the nut or bearing and seal damage will result. Use the hex hold feature to prevent stud from rotating. NOTE: After reassembly of wheel end, make sure the front wheel drive half shaft is fully inserted into the transaxle. Visually inspect the seal area. Some polished surface is due to axial run-out and is normal. Grasp the inboard housing gently pull outward. A slight drag from the snap ring should be felt. Failure to fully seat half shaft into transaxle may result in premature failure of half shaft or transaxle.
- Install the stabilizer bar link to front shock absorber (strut) and install stabilizer bar link nut. Tighten to 77-103 Nm (57-75 ft. lbs.). Install stud cover.
- Connect air suspension height sensor to lower height sensor ball stud.
- Install screw and front brake hose to front shock absorber (strut). Tighten screw to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten lug nuts to 115-142 Nm (85-105 ft. lbs.).
- Lower vehicle.
- Tighten three top mount-to-shock tower nuts to 30-40 Nm (23-29 ft. lbs.). Note: The new springs may settle and soften some during the first few weeks of use.
Front Conversion Kit installation now complete.