1991-2000 Lincoln Town Car Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
1991-2000 Lincoln Town Car Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 1991-2000 Lincoln Town Car Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Lincoln Town Car parts included in this kit:
- 2 Coil springs
- 2 shocks
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket Set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrenches
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat Head)
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
Front Coil Spring Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the bolts retaining the front shock absorber to the front suspension lower arm.
- Remove the upper nut, retainer and grommet from the front shock absorber. Remove the front shock absorber.
- Remove the steering center link from pitman arm.
- Support the vehicle with safety stands under the jacking pads and lower the hoist but maintain sufficient working room.
- Using Coil Spring compressor D78P-5310-A or equivalent, install one plate with the pivot ball seat facing downward into the coils of the front coil spring. Rotate the plate so it is flush with the upper surface of the front suspension lower arm. Fig 1.
- Install the other plate with the pivot ball seat facing upward into the coils of the front coil spring. Insert the upper ball nut through the coils of the front coil spring so the nut rests in the upper plate.
- Insert the compression rod into the opening in the front suspension lower arm, through the upper and lower plate and upper ball nut. Insert the securing pin through the upper ball nut because of a stepped hole design.
- With the upper ball nut secured, turn the upper plate so it walks up the coil until it contacts the upper front spring insulator. Then back-off one-half turn.
- Install the lower ball nut and thrust washer on the compression rod and screw on the forcing nut. Fig 2.
- Tighten the forcing nut until the front coil spring is compressed enough so it is free in its front spring insulator. Fig 3
- Remove the two front suspension lower arm pivot bolts, disengage the front suspension lower arm from the frame cross member and remove the front coil spring.
- If a new front coil spring is to be installed:
- a) Mark the position of the upper and lower plates on the front coil spring with chalk.
- b) With an assistant, compress a new front coil spring for installation. Measure the compressed length and the amount of curvature of the old front coil spring. Fig 4
- Loosen the forcing nut to relieve spring tension and remove the tools from the front coil spring.
Front Coil Spring Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Assemble the coil spring compressor and locate in the same position as indicated in Removal, Step 13a.
- Compress the front coil spring until spring height reaches the dimension obtained in Removal, Step 13b. NOTE: Before compressing the front coil spring, make sure the upper ball nut securing the pin is inserted properly.
- Position the front coil spring assembly into the front suspension lower arm.
- . To install the front coil spring, reverse the Removal procedure. NOTE: The tail of the front coil spring must be positioned as shown.
Rear kit install is now complete.
Front Shock Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Remove the upper shock absorber nut.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the two screws attaching the front shock absorber to the front suspension lower arm and remove the front shock absorber. Using a wire brush, lightly brush the shock studs to remove the rust, oil or corrosion.
Front Shock Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Properly prime the new front shock absorbers.
- Place a front spring insulator on the front shock absorber top stud and position the front shock absorber inside the front coil spring. Install the screws. Tighten to 13-17 Nm (10-12 ft. lbs.). If the threads in the front suspension lower arm become stripped or damaged, the removed screws should be reused, along with 5/16-18 locknuts. Tighten to 13-17 Nm (10-12 ft. lbs.) as when screws were originally secured directly to the front suspension lower arm.
- Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.
- Place a nut/washer assembly on the front shock absorber top stud and tighten to 34-46 Nm (25-33 ft. lbs.).
Installation now complete.