1995-2002 Range Rover 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
1995-2002 Range Rover 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 1995-2002 Range Rover 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Land Rover Range Rover parts included in this kit:
- 2 Rear Eibach Coil Springs
- 2 Front Eibach Coil Springs
- 8 New Mounts
- 4 Shocks
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat Head)
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Wire Ties
- Allen Wrenches
Front Air Spring & Shock Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Raise vehicle and support, before removing tires.
- Remove inner fender liner. Fig 1
- Depressurize the air spring by removing the nylon air hose at the top. To remove, push the metal collet in while pulling on the hose. (Wear eye protection) Fig 2 (Cuttin the air line is an alternative)
- Remove the two upper securing clips. Fig 3
- Remove the bolt securing the lower air spring retaining pin to front axle. Fig 4
- Remove the lower air spring retaining pin. Fig 5
- Remove air spring from the vehicle. Fig 6
- Remove the air spring from the opposite side of vehicle at this time.
- Place jack stands under axle to raise and support axle.
- Raise axle about 1 inch to remove the lower shock nut at the axle. Both side of vehicle. Fig 7
- If you purchased the kit with new shocks Remove the old shocks at this time. If your using the old shocks leave the upper portion of the shock mounted. Your now ready to install the new conversion kit.
Front Coil Spring and Shock InstallationStep 2
- If New shocks are included in your kit Install the shocks into upper mounts on both sides of the vehicle and let hang.
- If you did not purchase the shocks proceed with the next step.
- In the hardware package remove the plates marked (front bottom) Fig 1
- This plate rested on the front axle. Rotate the plate until the D shaped bolt head fits into the D shape hole on the axle. Plate should rest flush on the axle pad. Fig 2 & 3
- Install plates on both ends of the axle. Fig 4
- Lower the front axle as far as possible without stretching the brake lines or wires.
- Remove the front top plates from the package. Also remove the #30 springs from the box. (smsp#30 spring is for front axle only) Fig 4
- The # 30 spring will need to be compressed with a spring compressor to install.
- Compress the spring approximately 1-1/2 to 2 inches to install.
- With the spring compressed and spring upright. (Lettering not upside down) place the plate marked front top on top of the spring. Fig 5
- Now place the whole assembly onto the front lower axle plate. Fig 6 & 7
- Raise the axle while you guide the upper plate into the upper hole as in Fig 7 & 8
- Make sure the rubber ring on the top plate is seated all the way around in the upper bracket. Fig 9
- With the axle still raised attach the lower shock to it’s mounting bracket. Fig 10
- Make sure the spring is aligned in the lower plate as well as in the upper bracket. When all is aligned and shock is bolted in place, remove the spring compressor.
- Now lower the axle on that side until the shock holds the axle.
- Repeat installation procedure for the opposite side.
- Zip tie the air lines away from hot or moving parts.
- install wheel well liners.
- With all plates and springs in place and shock bolts tight. Lower front axle and install tires. Torque lugs to factory specs.
Rear Air Spring & Shock Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Raise vehicle so that tires are off the ground. Support vehicle.
- Remove both wheels.
- Locate the air lines to the air springs between the frame and body. Fig 1
- Wearing eye protection use a screw driver to push in the metal collet and then pull out the air line. Fig 2 (Cutting the line is an alternative)
- Remove the metal clip in the same area to free the top of the air spring. Fig 2
- Now remove the metal clip at the bottom of the air spring at the axle. Fig 3
- Remove both air springs from the vehicle. Fig 4
- Place jack stands under axle to raise and support axle.
- Raise axle about one inch to take load off shocks.
- Remove lower shock nuts on each side of vehicle. Fig 5 & 6
- If you purchased your kit with new shocks, Remove the old shocks at this time. If your using the old shocks leave the upper portion of the shock mounted.
Rear Spring & Shock InstallationStep 4
- If New Shocks are included in your kit, install the shocks into upper mounts on both sides of vehicle and let hang.
- Remove the two Plates marked Rear Bottom from the hardware package. Fig 1
- Remove the nut and washer from the bottom of both plates.
- Place both plates with bolts on the axle over the holes that the air springs use to mount in. Make sure bolt treads are through the axle bracket. Fig 2
- On the underside of axle bracket install washer and nut and tighten each one. Fig 3
- Lower axle as far as possible without stretching the brake line.
- Take the remaining plates marked Rear Top and place them on top of the #31 Springs. As in Fig 4 #31 springs fit rear only.
- With a helper, install each spring onto the axle plates.
- While holding the springs in place raise the axle until the upper plates are about to touch up in the frame pocket. Fig 5
- Rotate the spring and upper plate until the two nuts on the plate will seat into and through the oval shape up in the frame pocket. Fig 5 Fig 6 shows how the two nuts need to align into the oval shape.
- Continue to raise axle and seat the upper plates flush in frame pocket. (You can check that the nuts on the plate are in the oval by looking between the frame and body were you removed the air spring clip.) Fig 7
- When you have both upper plates seated and the lower part of the springs are resting in the axle plates, raise the axle so you can attach the lower shocks to the axle on both sides and tighten.
- With both spring assemblies in place and shocks nuts tight remove jack stands from the axle. Install wheels and tighten lug nuts to factory specs.
- Lower vehicle to the ground. You may here a pop sound as the upper plates completely seat into the frame pockets.