2001-2006 Mercedes-Benz CL55 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2001-2006 Mercedes-Benz CL55 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2001-2006 Mercedes-Benz CL55 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Mercedes-Benz CL55 parts included in this kit:
- 4 Coilover Strut Assemblies
- 4 Hydraulic Line Plugs
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat-Head)
- Mercedes-approved Steering Fluid
Front ABC Strut Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
Notice: THE MERCEDES SUSPENSION SYSTEMS FOR THE “CL” CLASS VEHICLES WERE DESIGNED WITH THE FACTORY TIRES INSTALLED. TIRE SIZES INCLUDE: 225/55R17, 245/45R18, 265/40R/18, 275/40R18, 245/40R19, 275/35R19.
SHOULD YOUR VEHICLE NOT HAVE ONE OF THESE FACTORY TIRE SIZES INSTALLED, THEN YOU WILL EXPERIENCE VARIOUS DIFFERENCES IN THIS KITS PERFORMANCE. THERE IS LIMITED TECH SUPPORT FOR VEHICLES USING ANYTHING OTHER THAN ORIGINAL TIRES. PHOTOS WILL BE REQUIRED FOR TECH SUPPORT.
- Disconnect plug connectors for the left and right front suspension strut motion sensors (B22/4, B22/5), see Fig 1.
- Strut sensors unbolt from the strut with a small Allen wrench on the top and the bottom.
- You may have to remove a rubber insert to get the bolts.
- Unbolt from the strut and tie back out of the way of any moving parts.
- Unscrew nuts (40c).
- Remove front wheels.
- Open bleed screws (56) and depressurize suspension struts (40), see Fig 1
- Unscrew nut (40d), see Fig 1.
- Undo the quick-release coupling (40b) on hydraulic line. NOTE: Remove cap, ensure that no dirt enters the open quick-release coupling, and that the quick-release fitting is fully engaged, see Fig 1.
- Unscrew screws (40a), see Fig 1. CAUTION: : Ensure that the screws (40a) are seated at least flush with the spring nut (40) or slightly recessed in it.
- Push down the spring link, undo suspension strut (40) from ball joint and remove downwards, see Fig 1. Caution: Lift spring link with the transmission jack while pushing the ball joint pin firmly into the cone in the spring strut. (See Figure #1)
- Plug hydraulic lines with supplied caps.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Line up the bolts on the head of the strut through the upper mount, see Fig 1.
- Jack lower control arm into place, reconnecting the strut to the ball-joint in the control arm, see Fig 2.
- Be sure not to over tighten the set screws, however, they should be snug, see Fig 3.
- Bolt lower control arm back into place and bolt up the sway bar arm, see Fig 4.
- Do this for both sides and then replace the tires back on the car and set the car back on the ground/floor before tightening head bolts.
Front Conversion Kit installation complete.
Rear ABC Strut Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Remove cover (41e) and cut open the foam insert underneath, see Fig 1.
- Disconnect plug connectors for the left and the right rear suspension strut motion sensors (B22/1, B22/6), see Fig 1.
- Unscrew nuts (41f, g), see Fig 1.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Open bleed screws (57) and depressurize suspension struts (41), see Fig 1
- Undo quick-release coupling (41a) on hydraulic line, see Fig 1.
- Remove fixed caliper with the brake pads on rear axle, see Fig 1. NOTE: Leave brake hose connected. Caution: Suspend the fixed caliper with a hook to relieve the strain on the brake hose.
- Remove the cover under the spring link (72), see Fig 1.
- Undo bolted connection (41c, 41d) between suspension strut (41), see Fig 1.
- Press spring link (72) downwards and remove suspension strut (41). See Figure #1
- Plug hydraulic lines with supplied caps, see Fig 1.
- Fill the hydraulic system with fluid.
Rear Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Line up the bolts on the head of strut into place, see Fig 1 & Fig 2.
- You will need to pull down on the lower control arm so that the strut lines up straight, see Fig 3.
- Install lower strut mount to the control arm and use a floor jack to raise the lower control arm, see Fig 4.
- Bolt the sway bar and wheel assembly back to the lower control arm. If applicable not all cars will have a rear sway bar.
- Repeat steps for the opposite side.
- Put the tires back on the car.
Conversion Kit installation now complete.