2002-2009 Audi A8 Four Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2002-2009 Audi A8 Four Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2002-2009 Audi A8 Four Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Audi A8 parts included in this kit:
- 4 Coilover strut assemblies
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric sockets
- Metric wrenches
- Floor jack or vehicle lift
- Level work surface
- Jack stands
- Basic Tools
Audi A8 Front Strut Removal & New Front Strut Installation GuideStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. Vehicle Must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
(Procedures for both sides of vehicle)
- Place vehicle on hoist or jack stands.
- Open trunk, remove trim panels on each side to access upper shock mounts.
- Remove wheels.
- Secure the brake disc with a wheel bolt.
- Raise vehicle and remove tires.
- Remove the air line connector from the residual pressure valve allowing time for air to escape. Fig 1.
- Remove the control-arm retaining bolt and remove the two control arms upward. Fig 2.
- Support the lower control arm, then disconnect the coupling arm for the ride height sensor along with the sway bar link. # 1-2 in Fig 3.
- Remove lower strut retaining bolt. #3 in Fig 3.
- Now moving to the top of the strut. Remove the black rubber dust boot from the center of the strut (Arrow). Then disconnect the electrical connector. #4 in Fig 4.
- Remove the three bracket retaining bolts. # 1-2-3 in Fig 4.
- For this step, have a second person help. Remove the stand supporting the lower control arm. Using a wooden board press the control arm down -Arrow A- far enough to move the strut forward to clear and remove it. Arrow-B. Fig 5.
- Remove the bolts holding the upper mounting bracket to the strut. Fig 6.
Removal is complete.
New Front Strut Installation Guide
- Remove your new strut from the box, and remove the nuts and washers from the studs.
- Place the mount bracket from the car over the top of the strut. Install the supplied washers and nuts and tighten. Fig 7.
- With another person to help, install the strut assembly into the car. Align the three mounting bracket bolt holes into the body and install the original bolts (finger tight only). # 1-2-3 in Fig 8.
- Place the lower strut mount onto the lower control arm and replace bolt (do not tighten). #3 in Fig 9.
- Place a jack under the control arm, lift arm up enough to put full weight on strut. Tighten lower strut bolt. Fig 9 #3 and the upper strut bracket bolts. #1-2-3 in Fig 8.
- Lower the control arm; replace the sway bar link (#2 in Fig 9) and also the coupler link (#1 in Fig 9).
- Tie back the original air line away from any moving parts. #1 in Fig 10.
- Remove the wheel bolt from the brake disk and install the wheel. Torque wheel to factory spec (Make sure all bolts have been tightened).
- Repeat steps for opposite side of vehicle.
Front strut installation is complete
Audi A8 Rear Strut Removal & New Rear Strut Installation GuideStep 2
- Place Vehicle on hoist or jack stands.
- Remove wheels.
- Secure brake disk with a wheel bolt.
- Remove the inner wheel well liner.
- Remove the air line connector from the residual pressure valve , allowing time for air to escape. #1 in Fig 1.
- Disconnect the electrical connector. #3 in Fig 1. (Note: The right side strut will have a vent tube attached to it. Cut this tube off.)
- Remove height sensor arm - # 1 in Fig 2.
- Remove the nut on the lower strut to control arm Fig 2 #3 Then with a wooden board press down on control arm to pull out bolt - #2 in Fig 3.
- Still pressing down and with bolt removed pull strut out and back to clear control arm - #4 in Fig 3. Release pressure.
- Remove the three upper strut bolts. Save these bolts - #6 in Fig 1.
- Remove strut.
Removal is complete.
New Rear Strut Installation Guide
- Place your new strut up into the wheel well and align the three upper bolt holes, install the three saved bolts and tighten. Fig 1.
- Using your board press down on the control arm. Align the lower strut mount in place on the control arm and install original bolt and nut. Fig 2.
- Release your board pressure and tighten bolt. Fig 3.
- Reconnect the height sensor arm.
- Tie back the air and electrical lines away from moving or hot parts.
- Ensure all bolts are tight.
- Install the wheel well liner.
- Remove the wheel bolt from the disk brake and install wheel.
- Torque wheel to factory specs.
- Repeat for other side.
Rear strut installation is complete