2002-2012 Mercedes-Benz SL500 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2002-2012 Mercedes-Benz SL500 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2002-2012 Mercedes-Benz SL500 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Mercedes-Benz SL500 parts included in this kit:
- 4 Coilover Strut Assemblies
- 4 Brass Line Plugs
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Level Work Surface
- Torx Bits
- Ball Joint Fork
- Basic Tool Set
Front ABC Strut RemovalStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Place vehicle on hoist or jack stands.
- Remove wheels
- Locate the hydraulic bleeder valve in the wheel well, above the valance panel, see Fig 1.
- With a catch container , open valve to release hydraulic fluid pressure . Close valve.
- Locate the hydraulic line quick release fitting, see Fig 2.
- Pull back collar and remove the rubber line from the fitting.
- Remove the lower strut mounting nut, see Fig 3.
- Using a ball joint fork separate the strut from the lower control arm, see Fig 3.
- Moving to the top of the strutremove the electrical connector by squeezing the two black tab and lifting up, see Fig 4.
- While holding the strut in the wheel well, remove the three mounting nuts from the top strut studs, see Fig 5.
- Remove strut. After removal of the struts you will need to remove the black rubber hydraulic line from each strut and install the supplied brass caps (tightly), see Fig 6, see Fig 7 & Fig 8. Repeat on opposite side.
- With the line caps installed tightly. Place the line back in the cars quick disconnect. Try to keep the line from interfering with the installation of your new strut, see Fig 9. CAUTION: The Hydraulic lines must be reinstalled to prevent your power steering from failing.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Remove the new conversion strut from the box and check for any shipping damage.
- Remove the three nuts and washers from the top studs. Also remove the opposite ends ball joint nut and sleeve and save them.
- With a helper make sure the ball joint stud faces toward the front of the car, lift the strut up in through the upper control arm. Align the studs with the holes and push up. Install upper stud washers and nuts finger tight, see Fig 1.
- Place lower struts ball joint stud into lower control arm hole, then install washers onto stud followed by the nut and tighten, see Fig 2.
- Install cotter key and bend end over, see Fig 3.
- Grease the ball joint with a grease gun until grease is forced out of the rubber. Fig 4
- Tighten the three upper mounting nuts at the top of the strut.
- Make sure all nuts are tight and reinstall wheel.
- Torque wheel to factory spec.
- Repeat steps on opposite side of vehicle.
Front Conversion Kit installation now complete.
Rear ABC Strut Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Before raising the vehicle, Remove interior trim panels in trunk to access top of factory struts, see Fig 1.
- Remove the electrical connector from the top of the strut, and the two retaining nuts, see Fig 2.
- Raise and support vehicle and remove the rear tires.
- Find the hydraulic bleed screw and loosen to drain and release pressure from strut, see Fig 3.
- Remove the rear track bar bolt, see Fig 4.
- Remove the height sensor from the lower control arm, see Fig 5.
- Loosen the inner control arm bolt (loosen only!), see Fig 6.
- Remove the lower strut mounting nut from the lower control arm (Leave bolt in!), see Fig 7.
- Remove the front track bar bolt, see Fig 8.
- Remove the lower brake caliper pin, see Fig 9.
- Remove the Allen bolt that holds the control arm to the hub, see Fig 10 & Fig 11.
- Pry the hub away from the lower control arm. Hub should raise up over the control arm, and the arm should drop down along with the strut, see Fig 12.
- Locate the hydraulic quick disconnect fitting on the side of the strut and disconnect this fitting as there may be some fluid pressure in the line. Wear eye protection. See Fig 13.
- While holding the strut remove the lower strut bolt. Push down on control arm and remove the strut.
- Follow steps to remove other side.
Rear Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Before installing your new strut you need to remove the steel line from the original strut, see Fig 1.
- Now install the brass cap supplied in the kit on the threaded end of the line and tighten, see Fig 2.
- Reinstall the line into the quick disconnect in the car and tuck the line in behind the wheel well liner.
- Remove your new Strutmasters conversion strut from the box and remove the top nuts and washers from the studs.
- With help from another person install the strut up into the car, see Fig 3.
- Align the top studs to fit into the mounting holes and push the strut up so the studs protrude through the holes. Now install the washers and nuts and tighten.
- Align the lower strut mount into the lower control arm and replace the original bolt and nut. (Finger tighten only).
- With a jack raise the control arm up so it is horizontal and reinstall the hub onto the control arm. Install the allen bolt with nut and tighten. Also tighten the lower strut mounting bolt along with the inner control arm bolt, see Fig 4.
- Install brake caliper pin and tighten, see Fig 5.
- Install front and rear track bars on to the hub and tighten bolts, see Fig 6.
- Install height sensor back onto control arm, see Fig 7.
- Make sure all bolts are tight then remove the jack.
- Install rear wheel.
- Follow steps for installation on the opposite side.
- Lower vehicle and replace the truck interior panels.
Conversion Kit installation now complete