2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 4MATIC Wagon Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 4MATIC Wagon Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 4MATIC Wagon Rear Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Mercedes-Benz E500 4MATIC Wagon parts included in this kit:
- MI2RB: 2 Eibach coil springs, 2 mounts, 2 pucks, and 2 gas/hydraulic shocks.
- MI24F: 2 Coilover Strut Assemblies, 2 Eibach coil springs, 2 mounts, 2 pucks, and 2 gas/hydraulic shocks.
- MI24FM: 2 Coilover Strut Assemblies, 2 Eibach coil springs, 2 mounts, 2 pucks, 2 gas/hydraulic shocks, and a suspension light disarm module.
- Disconnect Battery
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric sockets
- Metric wrenches
- Floor jack or vehicle lift
- Level work surface
- Jack stands
- Screw drivers (Phillips and Flat-Head)
- Allen wrenches and metric torque bits.
- Pry Bar
- General Tools
Rear Shock and Air Bag Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Before raising vehicle, remove the upper shock mounting nuts. These are located under the interior wheel well trim panels.
- Raise vehicle, support it and remove rear wheels.
- Remove forward section of rear wheel fender liner. Disconnect shock absorbers electrical connector. See Fig 1.
- Remove shocks lower mounting bolt and remove from vehicle.
- Support lower control arm with floor jack or appropriate stand.
- Remove lower sway bar bolt. Remove bolt from outer track rod, and remove bolt from torque arm. See Fig 2 & Fig 3.
- Remove lower control arm to wheel carrier bolt. Pry control arm out from carrier. Fig 4.
- Loosen lower control arm inner bolt to frame. This helps to easily lower arm later.
- Remove air bag lower bolt from control arm. Pull bag out from lower control arm to access upper air lines at top of bag. See Fig 5.
- Remove small air line from bag. Remaining large black hose must be cut to remove air bag. (CAUTION: Cut into the hose slowly to allow any air pressure to escape). See Fig 6.
- Remove air bag.
Rear Conversion Kit InstallationStep 2
- Install lower spring mount plate into lower control arm using the original bolt from air bag. Leave this bolt loose. See Fig 1.
- Install the supplied allen head bolt into the small hole in control arm. Tighten allen head bolt, then tighten large bolt. See Fig 2.
- Place black locating puck on top of spring. (note) ridge that fits into spring is the small diameter. The Strutmasters' lettering should not be upside down. See Fig 3.
- Install spring up into car, the hole in the black puck should go over the locating pin on the upper frame. See Fig 4.
- Make sure rubber spring isolator is in the lower spring plate and set the bottom of the spring into the isolator. Align spring end with the recess in the rubber isolator. The Strutmasters lettering should face out towards the tire. See Fig 5. Note: With the vehicle in the air, the rear spring will look like it is curved in the vehicle. When the vehicle is on the ground the spring will straighten out.
- Raise lower control arm to almost horizontal to reinstall into carrier.
- Note: Before reinstalling carrier, you must move the slide collar in the carrier back so that it is flush in the housing. To do this, use a socket and an extension and drive the collar back with a small hammer. See Fig 6 & Fig 7.
- Install carrier onto control arm, replace bolt. See Fig 8.
- Reinstall remaining suspension components in reverse order and tighten to factory specs.
- Zip tie the air lines away from hot or moving parts.
- With suspension components reassembled and control arm hanging down install the new shock into lower control arm using washers as spacers and the original shock bolt.
- Raise control arm as you guide the upper shock stud into the mounting hole in the body. Install upper shock hardware inside vehicle and tighten.
- Make sure all suspension bolts are tight. Reinstall wheel well liner, install rear tires.
Rear Conversion Kit installation now complete.