2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2003-2009 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan parts included in this kit:
- 2 Front Strut Assemblies
- 2 Front Eibach Coil Springs
- 2 Rear Shocks
- 2 Rear Eibach Springs
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Metric Allen Wrenches
- Torx Bits
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat-Head)
- Air Impact
- Pry Bar
- Vise and or Vise Grips
- Mercedes-approved Hydraulic Steering Fluid
Front Strut Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Locate battery in trunk. Disconnect (-) negative cable from battery.
- Locate under hood fuse box on driver side , near bottom of wind shield. Fig 1
- Remove compressor relay K67 at rear corner., By pulling straight up. Fig 2
- Before raising vehicle ,Remove upper (rear shock)Nuts washer and rubber mounts located in trunk under trim panels. (CAUTION ) Front struts and rear air bags must be emptied using STARS DIAGNOSIS. (NOTE) If this is not available loosen each air fitting slowly to allow air pressure to escape.
- Unplug wire harness from top of strut. Fig 3 Loosen air line to allow any residual air pressure to escape, then remove line from strut. Remove the three strut mount nuts.
- Raise vehicle with wheels straight ahead. Remove front wheels.
- Remove front fender forward section of wheel liner. Fig 1
- Disconnect struts electrical connector. Fig 2
- Unscrew upper control arm ball joint nut. Separate control arm from steering knuckle. Fig 3 & 4
- Remove lower strut bolt at lower control arm.
- Remove strut from vehicle.
Front Strut Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Install new strut through upper control arm, align upper studs to go through upper fender mounting holes. Install nuts loosely onto studs. Fig 1.
- Using a pry bar, lightly pry down lower control arm to allow lower strut mount to fit into position over arm . Install original bolt through strut and arm install nut and tighten to 80 ft lbs. Fig 2.
- Reassemble upper control arm to steering knuckle, tighten to 50 ft lbs. Fig 3
- Tighten upper strut mount nuts. Replace inner fender liner. Double check all bolts to be tight. Mount wheels, tighten lug nuts to factory specs.
- Zip tie air lines away from any moving parts or exhaust pipes.
Rear Shock & Air Bag Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Remove forward section of rear wheel fender liner. Disconnect shock absorbers electrical connecter. Fig 1.
- Remove shocks lower bolt. Collapse shock and remove from vehicle.
- Support lower control arm with floor jack or appropriate stand.
- Remove lower sway bar Bolt. Remove bolt from outer track rod , and remove bolt from thrust arm. Fig 2 & 3
- Remove lower control arm to wheel carrier bolt. Pry lower control arm out from carrier. Fig 4
- Loosen lower control arm inner bolt to frame. This helps to easily lower arm.
- Remove air bag lower bolt from control arm, pull bag from lower mount to access upper air lines at top of bag. Fig 1
- Remove small air line from bag. Remaining large black hose must be cut to remove air bag. (caution) Cut into the black hose slowly to allow any remain air pressure to escape. Fig 2
Rear Coil Spring Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Install lower spring mount plate into lower control arm using the original bolt from air bag. Leave this bolt loose. Fig 3
- Install the supplied allen head bolt into the small hole in control arm and tighten. Fig 4 & 5
- Now tighten the larger bolt.
- Place top mounting plate onto spring , with the spring upside down. (note) Spring is installed in car with small end up and large end down. Fig 6 & 7 (Writing on spring will be upside down in car)
- Install spring while aligning top plate centering hole over centering pin on the frame. Next Align the spring until the Cut end at bottom of spring faces out toward tire. Make sure lower spring seat rubber matches this position as well. Fig 8 Pry down on lower control arm then position bottom of spring into lower spring seat. (note) When spring is installed it will appear to be curved. This will straighten out when the weight of the car is fully on spring. Refer to Fig 7 for spring position.
- After coil spring is in position, raise lower control arm to load spring and aid in reassembly of suspension components. Install suspension components in reverse order and tighten to factory specs Fig 9-11
- Zip tie small air line out of way of any moving parts or hot exhaust. (note ) Recheck all suspension bolts to be tight.
- With suspension reassembled and control arm hanging down. Place lower shock mount into lower control arm and install original bolt. Raise lower control while guiding shock stud through upper frame hole. Install upper shock hardware in trunk and tighten. Tighten stud nut until rubber isolator starts to expand. Tighten lower shock bolt.
- Install wheels and tighten to factory specs.
Should you find that your E-‐Class is sitting low after installing the front struts, it may be necessary to use a coil spring compressor to raise the lower spring perch. The spring perch can be raised by moving the retaining ring up. The standard position for this ring is the center groove. You may choose which ever groove will work for your particular Vehicle. Strutmasters will not be financially responsible for any adjustments that my need to be made.