2003-2011 Toyota 4Runner X-REAS 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2003-2011 Toyota 4Runner X-REAS 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2003-2011 Toyota 4Runner X-REAS 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Toyota 4Runner 4x4 parts included in this kit:
- TR14F- 2 Coilover Strut Assemblies, 2 Gas/Hydraulic Shocks, 2 Coil Springs.
- TR1R0- 2 Coil Springs.
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Pry Bar
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
- Drain Pan and shop towels
Front Strut Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Disconnect ground wire from battery.
- Raise vehicle and remove front tires.
- Remove front rock shield from underside of vehicle, see Fig 1.
- Remove sway bar mounting bolts from frame on both sides and from the spindles, Remove sway bar from vehicle, see Fig 2. & Fig 3.
- Remove tie rod end, see Fig 4.
- Place a drain pan under the control arm and wrap a shop towel around the lower strut where the hydraulic line connects to the strut.
- The hydraulic line is under pressure so (wear eye protection) and slowly loosen the banjo bolt to allow the fluid and pressure to escape, see Fig 5.
- After allowing the fluid to drain place a jack or stand under the control arm.
- Remove the lower strut mounting bolt and lower the jack or stand, see Fig 6.
- Remove the struts three upper mounting stud nuts and remove strut from the vehicle, see Fig 7.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Before installing the new struts, zip tie the hydraulic line up to the steel brake line bracket. This line is no longer used, see Fig 8.
- Remove the three nuts and washers from your new conversion strut.
- Align the upper studs into the existing mounting holes while making sure your lower mount is in alignment for the bolt. Install strut then the washers and nuts and tighten, see Fig 9.
- Align the lower strut mount into the mounting bracket and install bolt and nut and tighten, see Fig 10.
- Install sway bar, tighten bolts
- Install tie rod end, tighten bolts.
- Install rock shield.
- Replace tires and tighten lugs to factory spec.
- Repeat steps for the opposite side of vehicle.
Front Conversion Kit installation now complete.
Rear Air Bag and Active Hydraulic Shock Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Disconnect ground wire from battery.
- Raise vehicle, support vehicle and remove tires.
- Before removing air bags support the rear axle.
- Remove the air line from the bag by pinching the tabs inward and pulling, or you can cut the line near the bag, see Fig 1.
- With a pair of needle nose pliers remove the retaining clip at the top of the air bag, see Fig 2.
- Remove air bag from vehicle, see Fig 3.
- Put a mark on the location of the ride height sensor before removing it from the axle bracket (both sensors), see Fig 4.
- With axle supported remove the lower shock bolts.
- Remove the lower shocks from the axle, see Fig 5.
- Place drain pan under the shock and wrap a shop towel around the shock where the hydraulic line connects to the shock, see Fig 6.
- Caution: Shock is pressurized with fluid. Always wear eye protection.
- Slowly loosen the banjo bolt on the shock to allow fluid and pressure to drain. Remove line after draining. Fig 6
- Remove upper shock nut and remove shock. Save the rubber isolators and retaining washers from the old shock, black arrow in Fig 6.
Rear Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Zip tie the hydraulic lines up as in see Fig 7. These lines are no longer used.
- Install the saved rubber isolators and washers on the top of the new shocks and install upper shock into the frame brackets, see Fig 8.
- Lower the axle enough to install the new coil springs. Caution: Do not over extend the brake lines.
- Place spring with large open end facing up into upper pocket then position the bottom of spring onto the axle plate. NOTE: Position the spring as in Fig 9. so that the coil is fully resting on the spring plate.
- With both springs in position, raise the axle and connect the lower shocks to the axle.
- Make sure all bolts are tight, then install the rear wheels and torque lugs to factory specs.
Rear Conversion Kit installation now complete.