2007-2012 Mercedes-Benz S550 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
2007-2012 Mercedes-Benz S550 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 2007-2012 Mercedes-Benz S550 4 Wheel Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Mercedes-Benz S550 parts included in this kit:
- 4 Coilover Strut Assemblies
- 6 Zip Ties
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Level Work Surface
- Torx Bits
- Allen Wrenches
- Basic Tool Set
Front Air Strut Removal InstructionsStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
Before you lift the vehicle:
- Prior to raising vehicle you need to access the upper air struts mounting studs and air line inside the car. These are located in the rear deck area at each corner of the rear glass under the trim panel, see Fig 1.
- Remove trim panel and foam to access air line and studs, see Fig 2.
- Before removing air line make sure vehicle is supported as it will drop when air pressure is released.
- Using an open wrench remove the air line from the top of the strut, see Fig 3.
- Next remove the three stud nuts that hold the strut in place, see Fig 4.
- Remove front wheel.
- Remove air line at the top of the strut to release pressure, see Fig 1.
- Loosen the three top stud nuts, but (do not remove at this time), see Fig 2.
- Remove the forward wheel well liner to access the wire connector, see Fig 3.
- Follow the wire attached to the bottom of the strut up to the plug in connector. Remove from clips, see Fig 4.
- Remove the clip that retains the plugs.
- Remove the plugs and separate them from each other. Make sure you replace the connector for the wheel sensor and reinstall the retaining clip, see Fig 5.
- Reinstall the wheel liner.
- Remove the brake line retaining sleeve from the strut by cutting the zip ties, see Fig 6.
- 10) Remove the wheel & brake sensor wires from the retaining bracket on the strut bottom, see Fig 7.
- Remove the retaining bracket from the strut and save.
- At the base of the strut remove the two retaining bolts, see Fig 8.
- 13) Remove the nut that retains the upper control to the spindle arm to separate the two, see Fig 9.
- Now pull or pry down the lower control arm to remove the lower strut from the mounting pin. When clear push the strut to the side of the pin and release the arm, see Fig 10.
- While holding the strut remove the three stud nuts that you loosened earlier and remove the strut from the vehicle, see Fig 11 & see Fig 12.
- Repeat on opposite side.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Remove the three nuts and washers from the top of the strut.
- Place the strut up into the vehicle aligning the three studs to fit into the upper holes. Push the strut up so that the three studs protrude through the holes. Place the washers and nuts onto the studs to hold the strut in the car, see Fig 1 & see Fig 2.
- Push or pry down the lower control arm to align the struts bottom hole over the mounting pin.
- Release the lower control arm to allow the pin to raise up into the struts pin mounting hole. Make sure the pin is fully engage into the hole, see Fig 3.
- Tighten the lower set screws, see Fig 4.
- Raise lower control arm to reconnect the spindle arm to the upper control arm. Install nut and tighten, see Fig 5.
- Reinstall the brake line sleeve onto the strut and hold with two zip ties, see Fig 6.
- 8)Take the metal wheel & brake sensor bracket you saved and bend the end tabs out as in Fig 7.to fit over the new strut. Now take a zip tie and thread it through the bracket as in Fig 8.next page.
- Place the wheel & brake sensor bracket below the brake line sleeve and tighten zip tie, see Fig 9.
- Cut excess zip tie off and then reinstall the wheel & brake sensor wires to the bracket, see Fig 10.
- Tighten the upper stud nuts, see Fig 11.
- Make sure all nuts and set screws are tight, then reinstall wheel and torque lugs to factory specs.
- Repeat all steps for the opposite side of vehicle.
Front Conversion Kit installation is now complete.
Rear Air Strut Removal InstructionsStep 3
- Remove wheel.
- Remove the front portion of the wheel well liner to access the electrical wire for the strut, see Fig 1.
- Remove the retaining clip that holds the wire connectors in and remove the connectors, see Fig 2.
- Separate the two connectors, see Fig 3.
- Reinstall the connector with the red grommet into the upper connector hole on the car. Reinstall clip, see Fig 4.
- Make sure the wire that was removed leads to the strut.
- Reinstall wheel liner.
- Next you will need to lower the control arm to remove the strut.
- Start by removing the struts lower retaining nut, see Fig 5. Do not remove bolt yet.
- Remove lower sway bar link, see Fig 6.
- Remove track link, see Fig 7.
- Remove locator link, see Fig 8.
- Loosen inner control arm nuts, see Fig 9.
- Remove the lower control arm to hub bolt, see Fig 10.
- Pull and lift the hub out of the control arm, see Fig 11. Caution: Control arm will drop down.
- Control arm should fall down as in Fig 12.
- While holding strut remove the struts lower bolt.
- Remove strut from vehicle, see Fig 13.
- Repeat steps for opposite side of vehicle.
Rear Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 4
- Remove the nuts and washers from the top of the new strut.
- With another persons help you will need to place the top of the strut up into the tunnel and align the studs to the holes, see Fig 1.
- When the studs push through the holes have your help install the washers and nuts onto the studs inside the car. Tighten the nuts.
- Place the struts lower mount into the control arm and replace bolt and nut (Do not tighten as this time), see Fig 2.
- With a jack raise the control arm high enough to place the hub back into the control arm. Install bolt and nut, see Fig 3.
- While the jack is still in place tighten the inner control arm bushing nuts and the hub bolt, along with the strut bolt, see Fig 4.
- Reinstall the track bar, locator arm and sway bar link. Tighten all bolts, see Fig 5, Fig 6, & Fig 7.
- Make sure all bolts are tight and then remove the jack.
- 9)After all bolts are checked for tightness, install wheel and torque to factory specs.
- Repeat steps for the opposite side of vehicle.
- Install the interior rear trim panel.
Conversion Kit installation now complete.