1997-2002 Ford Expedition 4×4 Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual - Strutmasters
1997-2002 Ford Expedition 4×4 Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual
Take a look at our easy-to-follow 1997-2002 Ford Expedition 4×4 Front Conversion Kit Installation Manual to learn how to install your new Strutmasters air suspension conversion kit. Our step-by-step instructions include pictures to help you along the way.
Ford Expedition 4x4 parts included in this kit:
- FX1FB- 2 Coilover Gas/Hydraulic Shocks.
- FX14F- 2 Coilover Gas/Hydraulic Shocks, 2 Eibach Coil Springs, and 2 Gas/Hydraulic Shocks.
- FX14B- 2 Coilover Gas/Hydraulic Shocks, 2 Eibach Coil Springs.
- FX14FB- 2 Coilover Gas/Hydraulic Shocks, 2 Eibach Coil Springs, 2 Gas/Hydraulic Shocks, 2 Upper Control Arms, 2 Sway Bar Endlinks, 2 Inner and 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends.
- Read general service precautions
- Wear Eye Protection
- Support the vehicle
- Remove air suspension parts
- Install conversion kit
- Disable the ride control light
Tools needed for installation:
- Metric socket set
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Metric Wrench Set
- Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat Head)
- Wire Cutter/Stripper/Crimping Tool
- Level Work Surface
- Spring Compressor (If Applicable)
- Allen Wrenches
Front Air Shock RemovalStep 1
Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system: Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection. Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines. The vehicle must be raised to perform this conversion! Use proper lifting equipment only! Read instructions carefully before attempting installation, if you have problems during the install then feel free to call our Technical Support Line. Please before calling for technical help, have your invoice handy.
- Remove the right hand kick panel, see Fig 1.
- Locate and turn off the Air Suspension switch, see Fig 2.
- Raise and support the vehicle, see Fig 3.
- Remove the wheels, see Fig 4.
- Remove the air line from the shock. Press in the locking ring and pull out.
- Hold the shock absorber stem and remove the upper nut and washer assembly, see Fig 5.
- Support the lower control arm with a jack, see Fig 6.
- Disconnect the upper control arm, this will make the removal and installation easier, see Fig 7 & Fig 8.
- Locate the bottom shock bolt, see Fig 9.
- Remove the lower shock bolt, see Fig 10.
- Remove the shock absorber, see Fig 11.
Front Conversion Kit Installation InstructionsStep 2
- Install 1 washer and bushing onto the shock, prior to installing On the vehicle, see Fig 12.
- Install the shock into the upper mounting first. Add the other bushing then washer. Loosely tighten the nut Just to hold shock from Falling out of place, see Fig 13.
- Align the bottom of the shock with the mounting hole and slowly jack up the lower control arm, guiding the shock into place. Install the bolt and nut. Tighten to manufactures recommendations. Should there be a gap present at the shock base, you may add washers as needed, Note these are not supplied, see Fig 14.
- Tighten the top mounting nut for the shock at this time.
- Reinstall the upper control arm and tighten to manufactures recommendations, see Fig 15.
Front Conversion Kit installation now complete.